Exercise and physical activity aren’t just good for your mind and body, it can help you stay active and mobile as you age! Regularly including all 4 types of exercise will give you a wide range of real-life benefits.
Endurance activities help you:
- Keep up with your grandchildren during a trip to the park.
- Dance to your favorite songs at the next family wedding.
- Rake the yard and bag up the leaves.
Strength training will make it easier to:
- Lift your carry-on bag into the overhead bin of the airplane.
- Carry groceries in from the car.
- Pick up bags of mulch.
Balance exercises help you:
- Turn around quickly when you’re on a walk and hear a bicycle bell behind you.
- Walk along a cobblestone path without losing your balance.
- Stand on tiptoe to reach something on a top shelf.
Flexibility exercises make it easier to:
- Bend down to tie your shoes.
- Look over your shoulder as you’re backing out of the driveway.
- Stretch to clean hard to reach areas of the house.