Iron Deficiency is one of the major deficiencies today and is caused due to low levels of iron in the body. The required normal levels of hemoglobin in adult females are between 12 to 16 g/dl, while in adult males it is between 14 to 18 g/dl. If the levels are below this, then there is a definite insufficiency in the body.
Both men and women can be deficient in Iron but it is seen that women are more prone to iron deficiencies (nearly 90%). In men, most of the cases are found in only 15% of the cases as men need far less iron than females. The daily requirement of a male body is 8.7mg/day and that of a male body is 14.8mg/day.
Iron deficiency in men can be a serious sign of bleeding in the stomach or intestines. This bleeding can be caused due to frequent use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or aspirin etc. and some ailments such as stomach ulcers, swelling and inflammation in the intestines, hemorrhoid or piles and rare cases of cancer of the bowel or stomach. In addition to this, taking an iron-deficient diet can also lead to its deficiency.
Symptoms of iron deficiency in men and women
In case of this mineral’s deficiency, men can experience headaches, difficulty in swallowing, tinnitus, a sore tongue, mouth ulcers and hair loss. On the other hand, women can experience shortness of breath, tiredness, paleness, headaches, dizziness, dry damaged hair and skin, swelling of the tongue, heart palpitation, and brittle nails.
Why is Iron so important?
The body needs iron to make hemoglobin, a key element of the red blood cells that enables them to carry oxygen throughout the body. Low hemoglobin in the body can inhibit the flow of oxygen in the muscles and tissues and this can lead to fatigue and other symptoms of iron deficiency. This low hemoglobin level in the body is called Anemia.
Ayurvedic Perspective of Anemia
Anemia is called “Pandu Roga” in Ayurveda and is caused due to an imbalance in the Vata, Pitta and Kapha Doshas of the body. The vitiation in the Pitta Dosha can lead to paleness in the skin (pandu) also termed as reduced blood cells (alpa rakta or vidushya rakta).Anemia also creates an imbalance in the Agni (digestive fire).
Simple Ayurvedic tips for Iron management in men & women
- Soak 2-3 tsp of fenugreek (methi) seeds overnight, then add these seeds to rice and cook them. This preparation can be cooked daily for a month to manage iron deficiencies in the body. You can also add salt according to your taste.
- Incorporating Amla and Beetroot into your diet is beneficial. You can also try juices of Amla and Beetroot to improve iron levels in the body.
- Eating Apples, Bananas, Dates and Pomegranates can be helpful for those diagnosed with Anemia.
- Mix half a cup of Apple juice with half a cup of Beetroot juice. Add some honey and mix well. Drink this juice mixture daily to see improvements in your iron levels.
- Make a paste of soaked black sesame (til) and honey and store this. Add this paste to the milk and drink daily.
- Eating a lot of green leafy vegetables like Spinach, Peas, Beans, Raisins, Apricots, Legumes, Pumpkin seeds, Quinoa, Broccoli, Tofu, and whole grains.
- Consume 10-15 overnight soaked black raisins after waking up in the morning. This will help in increasing hemoglobin levels and in relieving constipation which is common in Anemia.
- Consuming Vitamin C rich fruits such as Lemons, Oranges, and Tomatoes can enhance the absorption of iron in the body.
- Cooking your food in iron pots or pans can help incorporate iron into your meal.
- If you have some unaddressed conditions such as piles or menstrual problems, then it is advised to consult an expert Vaidya or doctor to eliminate any hidden reasons behind iron deficiencies.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Iron Deficiency for men and women
Raktda is an ayurvedic iron supplement that helps maintain healthy hemoglobin levels naturally in the body, boosts energy, and restores skin & hair health. It is also a very effective and ayurvedic treatment for iron deficiency or Anemia in both men and women.
Raktda also works on enhancing the absorption of iron in the intestines and is enriched with Vitamin-C, Calcium, minerals and natural herbs. It helps improve immunity, and skin and hair health reduces fatigue and has no harmful side effects.
It is enriched with Iron Bhasma in micronized particles that are easily absorbed by the body. Raktda contains two bhasmas namely; Mandur bhasma and Kant lauh bhasma.It also contains Praval Pishti, Muktashukti Pishti, Varatika and Shankh Bhasma for Calcium and contains potent herbs and ingredients such as purified Shudh Shilajit, Guduchi, Bela, Amalaki, Naag Kesar, Tez Patra, Khajur, Launga, Chhoti Pippali, Draksha, and Dristi Madhu.